Thursday, September 20, 2007

Venting

This is me venting about school. You don't have to read it. It's just for me.

I am sick and tired of people who don't do their own job criticize you for the way you do yours. Why is it that two grown women in their 60's sit at a desk all day and gossip while children go zooming by running down the hallways, sneaking around where they don't belong and they don't say a word. But when I say, where are you going or where are you coming from, I'm the bad guy. I'm so mean and the kids never get to have any fun when I'm around. Isn't that our job? To keep kids safe and if kids are running around the building unsupervised doesn't that seem like a scenario where the kids aren't safe?

Also, I show up for my breakfast duty every day at 9 am. It's my duty. I'm paid to be there. Why is it that these same people who can criticize me for not doing my job, don't show up for their duty? I did not ask for someone to patrol the hallway and stairs in the morning but I do think it's a good idea. And after Wednesday's incident, I definitely think it's a good idea. This woman is being paid to be at school from 8:30 to 4 pm. She rolls in about 9:15 or 9:30 every day and rolls out at about 3:30. Her assigned duty is to be in the stairs from 9:15 to 9:30. How hard is that? 15 freakin minutes people. She's not there. I go to my principal and I say, Hey, kids are running and pushing on the stairs. This isn't safe. Kids are also not going to their assigned areas, they are roaming the building making them late for class. Can we please stop this? Principal puts out a memo, please make sure children stay in their assigned classrooms from 9:15 on and reminds this staff person (for the third time might I add) to do her duty. I walk down the hall to ask a question and I get called a snitch. Oh wait, these people who don't do their job don't have the guts to actually talk to me about it. Oh no. They decide to talk to each other like I'm not there and say "There's a snitch in this building. You better watch your back." and then look at me out of the corner of their eyes. Later on, that same person who made that same comment tried to tease me about something. I was like what? Are you kidding? This isn't middle school. You don't put on airs for your friends and then when you're alone with the person you can be nice to them. This is the same person who did that same I'm going to talk about someone like they aren't even there as they walk past me thing earlier calling me immature. Are you kidding? You're the one who is 60 years old and a grandma and you're talking about me behind my back and I'M immature? Please. This is the same woman who last year was telling students that she didn't like me. Students!

In my opinion, whether you like someone at school or your job is not the point. You don't have to like them. We don't all have to hang out together after school and be best friends. But we do have to do our job. Which means that you show up for assigned duties. Which means that you treat other staff members with respect. Which means you don't let the kids notice which staff members you have a problem with. We have to present a united front. The kids pick up on that stuff really quickly. For instance, last year I told a girl she wasn't going to get recess the next day for hitting someone at lunch. Her teacher says, go tell the principal what Mrs. H said b/c I don't think that's fair. Excuse me? First of all, principal for all his faults is not going to take away a punishment that I teacher made. Second of all, you don't do that. It lets the kids think that they can play teachers against each other. It lets them think that one teacher is more important or more whatever than the other.

Basically I really want to leave my school but I can't. I really really need the $17,500 in loan cancellation and in order to get that I have to stay at a school for 5 consecutive years. The cancellation wording isn't exactly like that but from what I have gathered if you jump schools they don't cancel your loans b/c they are trying to build consistancy with the cancellations. And I can't change schools and stretch out my time b/c who knows what the husband will be doing with his life and the longer I have to stay with this district, the longer it takes for him to realize his goals. Plus, I'm not going to let them run me off. If she keeps pushing me she's going to have a confrontation and it's not going to be pretty. She's not going to like the person that comes out. And I better pray I have enough sanity to take her into the principal's office to do it or I'm going to get in trouble for what I say. I really really can't stand these people!

1 comment:

Mim said...

Damn. I thought we left this type of bullshit back in the 7th grade.
To be honest, they can see what a great job you're doing and they're jealous. So instead of making themselves better they take out their insecurities on you. Happens all the time, sad to say.